Saturday, August 29, 2015

Like a Dream



After five years in Scandinavia and living abroad, I am officially homesick. Not necessarily for Vancouver, although I do miss being around my family and friends over there, but just being homesick for North America and aspects of living on that side of the world. Being back at work, colleagues have been like "Oh I get you, I wish I was still on vacation" and I'm like "No, you don't get it. It's not that I miss being on vacation, I miss being in that culture".

So, being in New York (and a little stop to D.C.) this August was seriously, everything. I've always said that I would love to live in New York at some point and well, I'm ready to pack my bags. I'm ready to go! The city is crowded and busy, all the time. I know that making a good living and having a nice place to live isn't easy to come by over there, but at the same time, there's this air of opportunity and hope. There is this feeling that you can make things happen.


Then there is the familiarity. I have relatives in New York, so in a way, the city is quite familiar to me already as I have been there many times. But it's not just the actual city. It's things the tiny things that you think don't mean a lot to you when you first move abroad, but then you crave while you're gone. The husband and I spent like hours wandering through Whole Foods, we bought kombucha whenever we could, we had the best classic chocolate cupcake topped with vanilla frosting, and after not having it for years, the taste of a passion iced tea lemonade from Starbucks was amazing. Shopping was easier because they actually have petite lines for shorter people like me and there was so much choice. Choices are things I miss. That and diversity. Different people, different ethnicities and cultures, different foods, differences that somehow mesh in a big city.



I have a lot of thoughts on life in Copenhagen and Denmark. Let's just say, I can't live here forever. New York was like a dream. I mean, this whole year with traveling to Vancouver, London and New York has been super dangerous for the husband and I. It's harder to leave family, it's harder to leave cities that aren't even home for me behind, and now all I want to do is look for apartments/jobs and book holidays to these places.

3 comments:

  1. Yes!! This is seriously exactly how I've been feeling lately. Let's all move to New York! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get what you're trying to say! I felt that several times while living abroad... As much as I love Copenhagen I understand your feeling about the lack of diversity (and spontaneity?). What about integration? I mean deep and authentic integration? Do you think it possible in Denmark? As you married a danish man, it probably makes a difference?

    I wish you big dreams and the possibility to reallize several... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marine! Thanks for your comment :) You have also lived in many different places. How have they been different from Copenhagen?

      I'm not sure if I will ever really fit in here in Denmark, but at the same time, I don't know if I want to. There are some things with how I was brought up, the culture I grew up with, etc. that have shaped my worldview and sometimes I feel like it is very different from the Danish way. And although being married to a Dane might make things a bit easier, it's still not easy ;)

      And same to you! I hope you're doing wonderful in Belgium! There's so much there I still need to see!

      Delete