Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Start of Something New



Although I have enjoyed living in Copenhagen the last two years, it has also been difficult. Finding a job has been really hard for me. I could have sent more applications to work in retail or in cafes and make some money, but that just wasn't what I wanted to do. I really wanted to start my career.

I have sent so many applications. I've applied for everything from administrative positions at large international companies to internships at smaller Danish firms. I've done the cover letter and CV writing course provided by the government and I've attended some of their workshops. The fiance has also sent my CV to different people he knows to see if they had some connections or knew of anything. I have had a few coffee's and interviews with very different firms. They were signs of hope. My education in cultural analysis can be applied to different contexts so I've interviewed for internships at a UN agency and a really hip and current advertising agency for example. But those didn't work out as I had hoped.

But there is one firm that I have tried to get in for like over a year now. They consult primarily on regional development projects, an area that I've had the most experience in through my Master's and previous work experience. I had applied for an internship there originally and because I had worked with a client of theirs and had done a project related to another project they had done, they were always interested in my profile. I didn't get that internship but I thought I would try again and send an unsolicited application. They weren't hiring at the moment but I was able to meet with the analyst that I had previously been in touch with for coffee. Two months ago, I saw that they were taking applications for interns again and I thought I would give them one last try. And I am really excited to share that I got the internship and will be starting to work there full time in the middle of August for six months!

I have been waiting two years for an opportunity like this, and although it has taken some time to get here, I am really excited to start working and to start my career here in Copenhagen. It is an internship so I will still be looking for a full time position but I really think this is a great place to start in terms of networking, getting experience, and having some references behind me here. I'm excited for the next few months! And a huge t h a n k y o u to all of you who have been so encouraging and supportive of me while I've been job hunting over the past two years! You guys are the best!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! So happy for you and best wishes for the future :)

    ReplyDelete