Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Our Wedding: the Cake(s)

I had big dreams for my wedding cake. It was going to be tiered, we would have different flavors, and obviously I would get it at Strangas, my favorite cake place in the city. Right! Wrong. Reality kicked in and I wrote a bit about it here. As much as I love sweet treats, I just couldn't see us spending so much money on a wedding cake, as delicious as it would have been.


I thought of different options, other wedding cake companies, little cupcake businesses,  making out own cupcakes, but ultimately, we went with buying six different cakes from Andersen Bakery.



I think most people know that when you mention that something is for a wedding, things go up in price. So for us, we went to Andersen Bakery a week before the wedding and ordered one of every flavor of cake they had without mentioning our wedding. We bought a few slices of a few of the cakes to sample before ordering them and they all tasted lovely. We ordered some mousse cakes, some cheesecakes, and a gluten free Gateau Marcel. Andersen's cakes change with the season so it was nice that they used ingredients that were available at that time. We had an elderflower mousse cake which I loved, we also had a cherry cheesecake as well as a mango licorice cake. We cut our cake(s) during the cocktail hour/reception and Olsen +3 took care of setting out all the cakes and cutting and serving it to our guests.



Our cake table was quite simple. We asked my father-in-law to cut some round plates out of some logs that they had up at their summer house to use as cake plates. Like our seating chart, I hand stamped the name of each cake onto a small manila tag and wrote a little description of what the cake was. I also made a very simple cake topper to use on our cutting cake. I bought some pink fimo clay and rolled it out. I cut out three heart shapes with a cookie cutter and baked them. After baking and cooling the little hearts, I hand wrote the first letter or our names onto them with a gold paint pen and glued them onto some white lollipop sticks. And that was it!


We were really happy with the cakes we got for our wedding. People could try different flavors and there was more than enough cake for everyone. The cakes were affordable, they looked pretty, and they tasted great! Maybe if we do a vow renewal 5 or 10 years from now I can get a tiered cake, but for our actual wedding day, the cake table was perfect!

4 comments:

  1. I loved your wedding cakes! They were super tasty and everyone found a favorite. A big wedding cake is traditional and beautiful to watch, but I thought this was a lot more fun and it made it so unique.
    I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari :) Cake and treats for us on the weekend!!!

      Delete
  2. The more cake, the merrier! Nice post, Siski!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! An ice cream cake would have been fun too :)

      Delete