Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Thoughts on Living Abroad: Losing Friends & Making Friends



I don't know if it is the same with you, but living abroad has led to me losing friends, or at least being so out of touch with people that you don't really know them anymore. Maybe it is the distance, the fact that you can't physically see someone and spend time with them in person, or maybe it's just that you've started a new chapter in your life and some people don't come along with you. Although things like skype, facebook, and emails are available to us, it really takes effort on both friends' part for a long distance friendship to work. And it can be hard losing friends at home while you are in a foreign country. As exciting and fun as exploring a new place and culture can be, you can still feel lonely when you are eating dinner every night on your own and you just want someone to talk to. So people with friends living abroad - stay in touch with your friends, ask them about their lives now and their experiences living away from home! Be a part of their lives, I know they want to be a part of yours, even though you may be separated by hundreds of kilometers.



Although you might lose one or two friends, you'll make new ones. I promise! It might take some time, but you'll meet some great people and form new friendships. Making friends in Lund was not that hard. I was studying there for two years and I was in a program with some really great people. From day one, I started hanging out with two girls from Toronto and California and they were the most fun-loving and my most closest friends in Sweden. I also met a really awesome Australian in my first semester in Lund and we've gone from having coffee every week for a few months to him moving to London and then home and seeing each other a few times a year. He and his girlfriend are getting married in Sweden in a few weeks and the boyfriend and I are so excited to see two of our friends tie the knot! One of the downsides of making friends while you are studying abroad is of course that most people do eventually leave again. But when you're studying together or you're both coming from abroad, you really understand what the other person is going through and can support each other through it all.



Making friends in Denmark has been a different experience. Although I am friends with the boyfriend's friends, they are his friends and I don't want to tag along all the time. For awhile, it sucked when the boyfriend had plans with his friends on the weekend and I didn't so I would be home on my own, just like the rest of the week. But over the last year I've developed some new friendships. A friend of ours from Vancouver was living and studying in Copenhagen last year and I met two really great girls through him. Meeting people through your friends is a great way to widen your network. If your friend likes them, chances are you probably will as well!  I've also made some friends through the danish course I am taking. People come from all over the world in danish classes and you will probably not be friends with all of them, but there will be a few who you'll want to hang out with. Most of the time, they're in a similar situation as yours and you can really bond through these shared experiences. 



Most of my friends in Copenhagen now are international students, expats, and people who are married to Danes for example. Perhaps it's easier to connect with people who understand where you are from and understand what you're going through now abroad in this new place because they're going through similar things. I don't know! I still have a few really great friends in/from Vancouver and I can't wait to see them in a month. I love how we have kept in touch and how when we do see each other, it's like we were never apart because we know what is going on in each others lives. Friendships mean the world to me!

Have you lived abroad or are you living abroad? How has your experience with friendships at home and in your new city been? 

9 comments:

  1. A really nice post, Karen :-) Thanks for talking about it!
    I myself am living in Copenhagen with my Danish boyfriend who is basically the reason I moved here 1 and a half year ago.
    The whole topic about losing/finding new friends has really been harder than I though it would be (having also lived other places and abroad before and not having issues with it). I don't know what it is, but it's been hard for me to form "deep" relationships with people here, although lots of them are nice and caring. It really seems like it's a lot easier to get in contact with people from somewhere else in the world, that are living here - I totally know where you stand :-)
    But it's been going slow and steady now and I'm hoping that, as soon as I master the Danish language so I can have funny and fluent conversations, it will be a lot easier.
    But wow, it's a lot of work!

    As for keeping in touch with my friends at home - with some it works great, others not so much, even though I would have expected differently... but I guess not everyone is made for a "long-distance friendship" as you called it :-)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia!

      It sounds like we're experiencing/experienced similar things :) When I tried to stay in contact with friends at home and write them emails and ask them about their lives and they didn't respond, it was really hard. I was really saddened by some friends because it just didn't seem like they made an effort. But then there were other people who really surprised me. Even though we weren't the closest at home, they've really kept in touch!

      As for friends in Denmark, I totally agree with you that it is easier to get to know people who are also from abroad! Haha that is why I didn't write anything about making friends with Danes ;) My boyfriend's friends are awesome but besides them, I don't have any Danish friends! Hopefully that will change in the next little while!

      Thanks for sharing what you've been experiencing :) I hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  2. I haven't lived abroad or live abroad now - I have always lived in Scotland, but so many of my friends are not British, they have come to study or work here. I always think about how I would feel if it were me, living abroad, not knowing anybody and I would like people to befriend me. So I went out of my way to interact and to show them all that I love about Scotland and in the process made many friends. I think we should all make an effort to open up to someone new every so often....you might be pleasantly surprised.

    So now the great thing is that whilst many of my friends have moved on from here to other places it means I have friends all over the world. I will admit that I don't keep in touch with everybody, there are a few that I do....so I have friends in Paris, Switzerland, Spain, the US, the Netherlands, soon to be in Costa Rica....and as a result I have had many lovely holidays abroad and been to weddings in 10 different countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di! I agree, we should make an effort to open up to meeting new people! And it's so awesome how you've met so many people around the world through that. Too bad you don't live in Copenhagen ;) I went on exchange almost 5 years ago and made friends from all over Europe and the US and we've been having reunions or meeting up in our hometowns or in new cities every year or two and I love it! Happy Thursday!

      Delete
  3. I may not be in Copie anymore, but still want you to know that I think about you, Adam, and those girls a ton!! Glad to see you guys are still hanging out.
    Sending huge love from across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think about you often too! See you in just a few weeks - we need to plan a weekend getaway and we need to do yoga with you! :) Lots of love from Copie!

      Delete
  4. Before moving to the Netherlands (from US) I had a bit of a preview of what happens when you physically move and don't see your friends anymore. In HS I moved from NY to Chicago and saw how my group of friends fell apart. So when I moved to NL I knew exactly what to do. And that is make my own friends asap :) I met mine through expat clubs, volunteering, and even fellow expat bloggers! Friends 'fall away' not only because you moved it could happen even when they live in the same town, happens because you don't have a unifying element anymore like college. I didn't want to grow apart with my best friends so actually we started a blog together and we have basically an excuse to be in constant communication. My point is, it's not just you moving to another country, it's also them leading a different lifestyle, I bet some of your friends living back home are growing apart as well... And seriously what is up with these northern european men thinking they can make their OWN plans without you!?? That was actually the biggest annoyance factor for me with my Dutch (now hubby). ((sorry for long bla bla))
    ps: Hi! Have been checking in on you since finding you on expat-blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alla! It's so true, some friendships are dependent on that "unifying element" you mention. And starting a blog with your friend is an awesome idea! I just checked it out by the way and am loving the photographs! I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. I am really glad I have found this info. These are all wonderful! I really like them all. Nice blog with interesting content, that is what I need:
    Weddings Abroad | Wedding Abroad

    ReplyDelete