Saturday, February 28, 2015

Our Wedding: DIY Seating Chart


We did a few DIY projects for the wedding. All of them were really small and quite simple to do. I made our table numbers, put together our wedding favors, and we made this seating chart. Which I loved! It was simple and fit perfectly with the look of Olsen +3.

To start, we went to Silvan and looked through their scrap wood area. They sell the left over pieces that people have trimmed off and they go for really reasonable prices. I think we paid 30 or 40kr for the piece we used and it was quite big. Initially, I wanted to use chalkboard paint and go for that look, but since the wood we bought was already stained black/gray, I just used it as it was.



We had 9 tables at our wedding and 80 people at our wedding. For each table, I took out my little alphabet stamp set and stamped everyone's name under the table they would sit at and I hand lettered each table number on top of the large manila tags. To hang all of the tags up, we simply nailed a few small nails into the board and the tags were hung!



Our guests were assigned a table number, but they weren't assigned a seat which made coordination a lot easier and saved us a lot of time in set up. With a white paint pen, I hand lettered "find your table" so that our guests would recognize that that was the seating chart. As the guests were on the patio outside during the cocktail hour, we placed the seating chart on a chair right by the door so that guests could see it on their way into the dining area.

So there you have it. Our DIY seating chart! I loved how the finished chart came out and it was super easy and affordable to put together. If you're looking for large manila tags or manila tags in general, I always buy mine at Notre Dame. For paint pens, go to Creas in the city. And again, for scrap wood, check out your local Silvan!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, thanks for posting your DIY seating chart! As your guest, I thought the whole set up was pretty & practical. I found my name and table right away and was happy about the semi-formal seating arrangement-having a bit of freedom to sit where I wanted at my designated table rid the atmosphere of rigidness and made for a more friendly experience.

    I was impressed on how perfectly crooked/straight you placed our names using the tiny stamp letters! I use larger ones (Granit), and find I am unpredictable whilst positioning the letters. Do you have any tricks on how to use them or is it a feeling that comes with practice?

    Also, the style of font you used (quite like your blog header)- Is this a personal touch or have you shaped/modeled/inspired from a particular typeface? It is an elegant, edgy and refreshing take on cursive, and i'm curious to know!

    Kram & Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl!!! I wish I had a trick to getting relatively straight stamping but I don't really have any tricks. I just eyeball it if that makes sense? It probably also helps that my stamp set is like a mini one. I haven't played with the larger stamps so much.

      And thanks for your feedback on the seating arrangement! I am so glad that people were able to go with the flow and there was no table drama. It was also great that we could mix friends and everyone got along and there was no awkward silences, or at least not too much of it :)

      For my blog header, I used a free font that I downloaded years ago. My own handwriting is slightly different and it'd be fun to have my own writing on here but I think I would need some writing pad connected to my computer? Too high tech for me, I mean, I'm still working with a blogger template ;) I just want to keep it simple and still be a tiny little bit me.

      What about you?! You have worked on some websites before! Any tricks and tips?

      Love love love ya!

      Delete
  3. Hej Hej! Thanks for the feedback girly! Tricks for incorporating your handwriting... Yay! I just love this practice. When individuals incorporate their handwriting into virtual communication templates they shine through. I am grateful for the designer fonts available because we get to spread information in an efficient, eye-pleasing, and exclusive way; nevertheless, our 'individuality' represented by the type(faces) can become quite limited, cool, and lackluster. The character behind the characters is easily cloaked in stock. I like your blog right now, as I said before, I like your 'face' hehe! But, I'm excited you are interested, it will be so fun to see a tiny little bit of your warm glow- the little bit that makes a presence. I hope the following tip is helpful. I just used a similar low-tech way for a business card design for a carpenter- his handwritten name was legible and neat in both virtual and print mediums.

    Tools: a pen, a computer & default image editor application, a (wireless) printer/scanner- or a friend w/all ;) (I would <3 to work on this w/you.)

    Write your name on a white piece of paper with a black ink pen (thickness up to you, for Reg/Med/Bold) in about the size it will show on the screen. Scan it to computer. Save it as a .jpg file. Open up in editor and resize it to fit your online needs. Upload .jpg file to blog. Voilà!

    love LUV love

    ReplyDelete