Saturday, January 10, 2015

Our Wedding: The Photography

I'm back on the wedding posts! It might take me 'til our first anniversary to get all these posts done but thanks for hanging in there with me!






From the get-go, I knew that I was willing to spend a significant amount of money on photography for our wedding. The photos are really some of the only things you'll have to remember your wedding day afterwards so why not invest in it?

Just like wedding dresses, there are so many different photographers and style of photography to choose from. There aren't many photographers that I've come across here in Copenhagen whose style I liked or wanted for my photos. I met Amanda Thomsen a few years ago and have been following her since. I really like the feel of her photos. She has an eye for details and her photos really tell a story. Unfortunately, she wasn't available for our wedding so then I was sort of at a loss. There weren't any other photographers in the city that I really liked, I found one in Stockholm that I did like but her fees were way over our budget.



Fortunately, I have a friend in Vancouver who is a wedding photographer! We invited my friend Josh from Joshes Photography over to Copenhagen to shoot our wedding. I've known Josh for a long time and have had my photos taken by him on a few occasions over the years and it has been so fun to watch his style grow and evolve. I really love his current work, especially with his own personal lifestyle photography. I love the light and softness in his photos and his ability to capture and evoke emotion in them. So we flew Josh over from Vancouver for a week so that he could see a bit of Copenhagen and shoot our wedding and seriously, one of our best decisions! Our families love the photos! I think my in-laws were a little skeptical about spending such a significant amount of money on hiring a photographer, but I think they now understand why! Josh really did an awesome job on our wedding, especially as he was all on his own, without a second shooter or anything! He captured all the right shots, captured everyone's expressions and emotions throughout the day, and he worked all day from morning until past midnight. Seriously, if you want me to get you in touch with him, just let me know! He is willing to travel and he might be in Denmark again sometime late spring!



It was also great having Josh take our photos because the husband had already knew him and that might have helped him relax in front of the camera. We also did a little engagement shoot before the wedding so we also got a little practice there. And Josh also took some really lovely photos of our rehearsal dinner which are so special to have and look back on. Posing for the photos still felt weird at times, especially when you're in it and holding the same gaze or spot, but when you look at the finished photos, they look so natural! Amazing, how do those photographers do it?



Photography is expensive, especially when they come to weddings. But again, work within your budget, know what style you want, and I'm sure you will find someone who will take photos for you that you will love! And I really can't emphasize it enough, invest in a good photographer! These photos will be yours for a long time and you should love them and be happy with them years down the road. That's my biggest piece of wedding advice!

What was your biggest wedding investment? Were you happy with your wedding photos? Did you get a professional photographer? Was it worth it?

P.S. If you are in Copenhagen, my friends Tina and Jack from Stella and Jack Studios are back in town and I would definitely recommend you to check them out if you are looking for photographers as well!

P.P.S. We took our engagement photos out by Refshaleøen and our wedding portraits were taken at Det Biovidenskabelige Fakultets Have in Frederiksberg and at Botanisk Have in Copenhagen.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I have to admit to occasionally having been dubious about the large expense for good photography, but this definitely gave me some food for thought - it's a once in a lifetime experience and seeing such special scenes from a "third eye" per say, is (almost) priceless.

    Thank you!
    dani | deerdani.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! I do agree that wedding photography can get crazy expensive these days! but at the same time they last forever! dilemma ;)

      Delete