Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thoughts on Having Our Wedding in Copenhagen


Wedding planning is finally kicking into a higher tempo around here! We have ordered and received a shipment of jars for our wedding favors, RSVP's are coming in, we've submitted our wedding papers to the kommune, and I had my first dress fitting today. I've bought a few things to start making a few decor items and I'm planning on talking to some florists in the next few weeks. I can't believe that there is just a little over two months left to our big day!

In some ways I feel like my wedding here in Copenhagen is or would have been a lot different had I had my wedding in Vancouver. I have been reading some of the Danish wedding forums, I have been to a few bridal boutiques here, I've researched wedding venues, and I have also been learning about Danish wedding traditions. All I can say is that, weddings in Denmark are still quite traditional and well, maybe ten or even fifteen years behind the industry in North America. The invitation style, decor style, and many wedding dresses I've seen here aren't my style at all. Our wedding follows more the trend and styles of current weddings at home in Canada (maybe a little more relaxed and toned down) and will incorporate more traditional Danish aspects in the ceremony format for example.



There are some downsides to having our wedding in Denmark. The costs are much higher for pretty much everything. For example, I really wanted my wedding cake from a specific conditori in the city but when I do the math, the price per person for one slice of cake is pretty ridiculous. I mean, $16 for the slice of cake plus another $5 cutting and plating fee isn't really worth it for me. If we have eighty guests or so, the price of the cake beats the price of my dress! (If you have any recommendations for great cake bakers or conditori's in Copenhagen, please do share!)

On the other hand, I think it will be a great experience for my family and friends from all around the world to see where we are living and get to know Copenhagen a bit more. Copenhagen is our home and I am so incredibly happy that we have amazing family and friends who are willing to come and share in our wedding here. It's also fun because we will have a hybrid wedding. We get to choose the traditions and aspects of North American and Danish weddings that are meaningful to us and build our own Scandi-Canadian wedding.

Have you planned a multicultural wedding? Did you blend the two cultures and how? Did you have two weddings in both countries or? What are your thoughts on the Danish wedding industry?

6 comments:

  1. Hey, not sure if Blogspot swallowed my comment or not, but the thing is my friend makes great cakes, and she works for one of the best cake shops in Copenhagen. She takes order on her own, so if you're interested in getting touch with her, drop me a mail at thisindonesian at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info! I will send you an email later today :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen, I have left a comment before, I am French and I live in South Africa. My husband is South African. I got married in Johannesburg almost 2 years ago and the wedding itself wasn't much more different than what it would have been in France (I think?).

    The main problem was for my family to accept that I wasn't going to get married in my home country. It didn't go down well AT ALL! Even when I tried to explain that my life is in SA now and all my friends are here, they were devastated, also because only my parents and siblings could make it. It's always very difficult but I don't regret my decision. The wedding was a success and they forgave me eventually. I wish you best of luck and hope it all goes well for you!! Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Camille! It is definitely difficult to have relatives travel to our wedding in Copenhagen. At the same time, I am not close to my aunts, uncles and cousins so it is not a big deal for me that most of them are not coming, but I think it would have meant a lot to my parents.Thank you for your well wishes and I'm sure I will be sharing more of the wedding this summer :) Lots of love!

      Delete
  3. I pretty much avoided the entirety of the Danish wedding industry when planning ours. I bought my dress in Sweden, had a family friend make the cake, and DIY'd just about everything else. I don't know that I was conscious of it, but more my very Canadian do it yourselfness, was a response to the things I didn't like. I definitely felt sad at points about friends and family not being around to help out, but after the fact I will say that I am so glad we held it here. It meant that all of my friends and family came to Denmark, and experienced and entire wedding weekend with my husbands family. They also got to see my life, and really experience it. So much wonderfulness. I will say this though (a mantra I repeat everyday) don't try to imprint my Canadian expectations on to Danish things. They are different. Of course you can try and make them more to your liking, but I know that when my expectations are out of whack it's no good. Happy Wedding planning, I'm know it will turn out to be a super special celebration (just watch out for all those songs, man these crazy Danes love a good sing-a-long)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your mantra! I should keep that in mind myself...There are still times when I'm like, "why are people so weird here?"

      And yeah! I am really excited about having our wedding here in Copenhagen. Half of the guests are not from here so it will be a real blend of cultures and traditions. :)

      Delete