Friday, November 8, 2013

Whoa



It's still pretty crazy to think that the boyfriend/fiance and I will be getting married in about eight months. We've known each other for over four years, been dating for almost three years, and have been living together for almost a year and a half now. When I write it all down like that it doesn't seem like we have been together for that long, but I always had the feeling we could be something special from the time we met, and well a few years later, we're engaged!



When I was in high school I wanted to be a fashion designer. I loved evening gowns and wedding dresses and would rip out pages out of old wedding magazines at school with my friends and save them all in my sketch book. I gave up my fashion designer dreams before high school ended and thought I could study communication and work in PR for a designer instead. Clearly that didn't happen either because then I did my master's in ethnography. What?! Anyways, while I was in high school. I imagined that I would wear a Monique Lhuillier dress with a slight princess ball gown feel to it at my wedding and I would have had a banquet style dinner at a hotel downtown or at Brock House (for those of you in Vancouver). Well, the things I thought I wanted for my wedding ten years ago definitely aren't what I want anymore.



I'm sure I'll share more about our wedding when it starts to come together a bit more. The fiance and I have not made it very far with wedding planning yet. We have set a date, we know how much we would like to spend on the wedding, and we have a color scheme and a general style in mind. I feel like we haven't been able to plan very much yet because we don't have a reception location yet. As we will have guests coming from abroad, we would like to keep the party location in and around Copenhagen but we are also open to having a outdoor party at a summer house north of the city as well. If you know of any cool garden party feeling or industrial/raw feeling spaces to rent for parties/meetings/functions in Copenhagen, please do let me know!

So! We're at the beginning stages of wedding planning. There is so much wedding stuff everywhere, blogs, magazines, Say Yes to the Dress episodes, ah! If you have any tips or advice or any good recommendations for vendors in Copenhagen, I would love to hear them! And if you want to see some of my wedding inspiration and what not, check out my pinterest!

Photo credits: dresses, location

8 comments:

  1. Hey Karen, just saw that you recently got engaged! (I still follow your blog and read it from time to time, and enjoy your tips about Copenhagen :) ) CONGRATS!!! All the best and hope all the wedding planning goes well!

    Greetings from Lund,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Margaret! How are you doing in Lund and how is your phd going? I hope you are doing lovely and I'm glad you are enjoying the blog! :)

      Delete
  2. excited as well .. :) shall be following how the planning is going... have fun, which i am sure you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there ! And congrats !! I have a question for you: I am from France and my husband is South African and I have been living with him in Johannesburg for 7 years. When I chose to get married here in Jo'burg last year, my family could not understand my decision and it was very hard for them to accept that I would rather want to get married in SA rather than France. Have you been experiencing the same or are you maybe planning to have another wedding in Canada?

    xxx

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camille!

      Johannesburg, what an exciting place to be!

      And thank you for your question :) I have been living in Scandinavia for over 3 years now and ever since my fiance and I were dating, I think my parents sort of knew that I would be living in Copenhagen for awhile. The summer of 2012 was my parents' first time in Europe and they loved traveling and seeing different cities here so I think for them, us getting married in Denmark is exciting for them and gives them another excuse to come to Europe. My fiance and I do plan on moving to Canada at some point and we've always told them that so I think they know that we won't always be so far away. As for a wedding in Canada, I don't think we will be having any parties or anything there at this point. I have relatives in Canada, in the States and in Hong Kong so I don't think we'll ever please everyone. I do find it hard though sometimes because I am the eldest daughter in my family and that my mom and sisters won't get to have that wedding planning experience with me.

      Lots of love,

      Karen

      Delete
  4. Just saw this post! I totally found my old "wedding" scrapbook from art class when I moved in with Josh! So funny looking at our pictures of things we thought were amazing! Or when we'd order Alfred Angelo catalogues! Oh man... So excited for you! You are going to have such a stunning wedding - you have always been so creative! Can't wait to see pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks chels! Planning is actually not so easy over here! Haha how did you do it in half a year? I will have to write you a message and ask! ;) And it was so fun ordering wedding catalogs while we were in high school. Those Lazaro ones were the best!

      Delete