Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Back to School

Rather than scouring databases for academic articles, researching, or writing papers, I am back at school. This time though, I am learning the alphabet.




I started Danish classes yesterday and will be going to school four days a week for three hours each morning. So far we have covered basic questions like "hvad hedder du?" (what is your name?) and "hvor kommer du fra?" (where do you come from?). Although I already knew what has been taught so far, it is nice to learn how to correctly say these simple phrases and not just say it the way I want, as it is usually far from being right.

Learning the alphabet and numbers makes it seem as if I am in kindergarten again. I now understand how it may be frustrating for little children to express themselves when they don't have the vocabulary to describe what they are thinking, feeling, or trying to communicate. It's still hard for me to speak in Danish outside of school and with other people besides the boyfriend because the sounds that I am making seem so unnatural coming out of my mouth. The Danish language is full of weird sounds and if you're not making the right sound or using the right tone, a word you're saying could mean a totally different thing! The first module that I am currently in lasts about three months and they try to teach you how to communicate in everyday life. I'll keep you updated on what I'm learning over the next few weeks!

4 comments:

  1. You'll get there. If you can bring yourself to start speaking with your partner at home, that'll be a huge step. Just start by replacing words. I started with curse words, but maybe you can start with kitchen items/food. ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we've been practicing at home! It's been really good as he helps me with pronunciation and corrects me if I am wrong or I can ask him to repeat things like 10 times. And thank you for your comments hummingloon! What languages do you speak? :)

      Delete
  2. You'll get there! I'm taking Danish classes (outside of Denmark) and it just takes a little time to sink in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How are your Danish classes going? Will you be in Denmark in the near future? :)

      Delete